600g lean stewing steak
4 cloves garlic
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
2 oxo cubes (or other beef stock)
Fresh (sprig) or dried (tsp) rosemary
2 Bay leaves
250ml red wine
Salt and Pepper
Handful red lentils
- Roughly chop the steak, onions, carrots, garlic and rosemary if using fresh.
- Put all the ingredients in a slow cooker, along with just enough water to cover
- Cook on low for around 6 hours.
- At this point, use a slotted spoon to remove the meat and bay leaves temporarily to a bowl. Put the remaining liquidy mix into a blender, this gives a lovely thick 'gravy'.
- Put the gravy and meat back into the slow cooker, and continue cooking on low for a further 2 hours.
- 20 minutes before serving, roll out the puff pastry and brush the top with egg. Cook in the oven for 15 - 20 minutes.
- Serve with plenty of vegetables!