500g basmati rice
1 small onion, diced as small as possible
4 cardamom pods
4 black peppercorns
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp turmeric
2 bay leaves
700ml vegetable stock
- Rinse and soak the basmati rice as per the pack instructions
- Fry the onion, cardamom pods, cloves and peppercorns over a medium heat until the onion has softened
- Add the rice to the frying pan, along with the cinnamon, turmeric and saffron. Mix thoroughly to ensure the rice is coated with the spices. You should see the rice turning a lovely yellow colour.
- Add the stock and bay leaves, bring to the boil.
- Cover your frying pan with a lid, or if you don't have one some tinfoil.
- Reduce the heat to low, and leave for 15 minutes. Don't lift the lid.
- Switch the heat off, and allow to rest for another 5 - 10 minutes. This will partially steam the rice, and ensure all the stock and flavours have been absorbed.
- Fluff with a fork and then serve with the curry of your choice!