I was very sceptical about this, given that I absolutely hate Smash. I think it tastes horrible, and smells just as bad. However, I also love pizza, and really miss having it on the diet. I decided to give it a go, and I was very surprised at how good it was. As crazy as it sounds, you don't get the same Smash taste, and although its not the same as a pizza, it's close enough to satsify a craving. If you count the cheese as a healthy extra, its also syn free.
I've now made it twice, and the first time was a bit of a disaster. I'd used a normal baking tray, sprayed with fry light and the base stuck - I had to scrape it off in bits with a knife. Some lovely people on Twitter suggested that I try using a pizza tray, and also make the dough with less water - I did both of these things today and had no problems at all. It came off the tray easily, and felt more like a proper pizza base.
(For 1 pizza, which I had all to myself!)
sprinkling mixed herbs
small clove garlic, crushed
42g mozarella (HEXA), I chopped this into pizza express style chunks, but could also grate
Free toppings of your choice (e.g. sweetcorn, onions, chicken, ham, peppers, etc)
- Spray a pizza tray with fry light
- Mix the smash, herbs and garlic with boiling water. Add the water a few drops at a time, and mix until you have a dough. Be really careful not to make it too watery - this makes it sticky, which was my first problem
- Use your hands to flatten the smash mixture onto the pizza tray - try and get it as thin as possible without it falling apart
- Bake in the oven for about 10 minutes, until crispy on one side. Turn over then bake on the other side for 5 minutes
- Add the pasata, mozarella, oregano and toppings
- Pop back in the oven until the cheese has melted