Wednesday, 4 May 2011

RECIPE - The Smash Pizza

I'd heard a few of the lovely Slimming World ladies on Twitter talking about this, so this isn't my recipe but I felt it could still be useful to put it on here for anyone who doesn't know it, and also to note my mistakes from my first attempt!

I was very sceptical about this, given that I absolutely hate Smash. I think it tastes horrible, and smells just as bad. However, I also love pizza, and really miss having it on the diet. I decided to give it a go, and I was very surprised at how good it was. As crazy as it sounds, you don't get the same Smash taste, and although its not the same as a pizza, it's close enough to satsify a craving. If you count the cheese as a healthy extra, its also syn free.

I've now made it twice, and the first time was a bit of a disaster. I'd used a normal baking tray, sprayed with fry light and the base stuck - I had to scrape it off in bits with a knife. Some lovely people on Twitter suggested that I try using a pizza tray, and also make the dough with less water - I did both of these things today and had no problems at all. It came off the tray easily, and felt more like a proper pizza base.

Ingredients
(For 1 pizza, which I had all to myself!)
Base
50g smash
sprinkling mixed herbs
small clove garlic, crushed
Topping
Tomato Pasata
Oregano
42g mozarella (HEXA), I chopped this into pizza express style chunks, but could also grate
Free toppings of your choice (e.g. sweetcorn, onions, chicken, ham, peppers, etc)

Method
  1. Spray a pizza tray with fry light
  2. Mix the smash, herbs and garlic with boiling water. Add the water a few drops at a time, and mix until you have a dough. Be really careful not to make it too watery - this makes it sticky, which was my first problem
  3. Use your hands to flatten the smash mixture onto the pizza tray - try and get it as thin as possible without it falling apart
  4. Bake in the oven for about 10 minutes, until crispy on one side. Turn over then bake on the other side for 5 minutes
  5. Add the pasata, mozarella, oregano and toppings
  6. Pop back in the oven until the cheese has melted

6 comments:

  1. how high do i put the oven on? thanks! emma

    ReplyDelete
  2. you must never use an oven when high anon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You might want to try rolling out the pizza base between two layers of cling film. Saves it sticking to everything!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry to say I heard this is not syn free, something to do with the way the smash is cooked.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is Syn Free, checked with a consultant today in class

    ReplyDelete
  6. Am giving this my first go tonight, let's see!

    ReplyDelete