Tuesday 31 May 2011

Amsterdam - Diet Fail

A few weeks ago I'd booked a long weekend in Amsterdam with some friends, and had been told that sticking to Slimming World there was going to be near impossible because there was so much delicious fast food around, and by the time my flight on Thursday morning came around I had completely embraced the idea of having a few days off plan and eating whatever I wanted - in fact I'd started with a bacon and hash brown roll at the airport!

We spent a lovely 4 days in Amsterdam, and pretty much ate from our arrival to getting on the plane yesterday morning! And my friends were not wrong - I sampled deliciously crisp chips covered in either mayonnaise or curry sauce, some brilliant large pizza slices, one of the best burgers I'd had in a long time, warm croissants, lots of bread with cheese and salami, etc. You get the picture! Then there was the ridiculous amount of crisps we ate of an evening back in the flat we stayed in whilst playing a few games of cards. And lets not forget the gallons of beer which were consumed whilst people watching from tables in lovely Dutch bars, oh and the amazing hot chocolate I had one day which was made up from hot milk and a giant block of chocolate on a stick! In other words, it was a holiday of eating and drinking whatever I liked, and although it's probably increased the number on the scales I really enjoyed it!

The one good 'diet' thing I can say is that we walked a lot! We were on a couple of trams for the larger journeys, but mostly we walked all over the city (although the walks were more strolls, and were interspersed with stops for drinks!). Hopefully this has made a small dent in the calories consumed over the weekend.

Now it's time for me to get back on track for weigh in next Monday. I'd given myself the rest of yesterday off, and enjoyed a nice meal out and a few more beers with the intention of getting fully back on track today. Unfortunately that's not been quite as successful as I'd hoped. When I mentioned getting back on track yesterday on Facebook one of my friends pointed out that we were meeting for dinner tonight - and whilst I know I could, and should, have eaten healthily for the rest of the day, it hasn't worked out like that. That little food-obsessed devil in my head suggested that there was no point, and just to bring on the naughty for another day! But that is it, tomorrow I'm going to be 100% on plan, and I've got a gym session booked in for the evening.

2 comments:

  1. You haven't failed, you had a vacation! I'm glad you had a good time, apart from the one day you mentioned on Twitter where you weren't feeling 100%.

    Ali

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was near on impossible not too eat lots! Had such a good time though so part of me doesn't care about going wild with the fast food. The crisps were indeed our downfall haha! I have weight watchers tomorrow and I'm not looking forward to what the scales tell me! Good luck for getting back on track :) xx

    ReplyDelete